Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have an 05 plate Primera in good condition with low

Customer Question

I have an 05 plate Primera in good condition with low milage. The EMS goes into low power mode when switching on any rear light or indicator. It is a common problem with grounding the rear lights. What is the best way to fix it please?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: The EMS light does not come on and there are no fault codes. The bad ground makes the ECU imagine that the brakes are on when they are not on. The Nissan ground connections to rear lights are a know problem. I just want to improve the grounding.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Nissan Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '05 Nissan?
Customer: It is a 1.8 sx model, ie petrol. Thanks.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was worried about high costs so I am self diagnosing. I now know what the problem is. It is feedback via the poor ground in the rear lights. When the indicator light is winking the ecu is led to believe the brakes are on as the voltage on the bulbs as sensed by the the ucu rises due to poor grounding. I do not mond paying but my local garrage oferred to spend 2 hours for £100 with no guarantee they would fix it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: No I think I have explained the problem. I need to know the best way to improve the grounding of the rear light clusters. Nissans orriginal wiring loom is so poor that they offer an upgrade part but fitting a new loom would be far too expensive.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I dont see any updated info on how to ground this here but usually if it were me I would locate the ground feed wires for the lights and add a ground wire myself from a bare metal body point or frame to resolve this.Make sure the ground from the battery is clean and tight on the engine and body.If this does not resolve the issue here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete this problem got sorted out about one hour after I asked the question a week or so ago. For your info all these Primera's need to sort this problem out if not too far gone is just a squirt of WD40 in each rear light cluster connection plug. The Renault (designed) harness is a piece of ****, Nissan are no longer Jap quality cars at all.Thanks Ben
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

That is great to hear it has been resolved.If you need anything else here or in the future let me know.

Thanks Pete