Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a kangoo 1.2 lpg conversion, bloody thing won't start

Customer Question

Hi
I have a kangoo 1.2 lpg conversion, bloody thing won't start sometimes hot or cold been told pistons swell ???? surely this would only happen when hot !!!! any ideas pls cheers Mark
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when purchased I was told it was sold as petrol only coz they spent 2 days trying to sort out gas probs !!! i'm no mechanic by no means but I found a loose wire hanging just under carberetta ? & found out that it was a air intake sensor so I fitted it back into the only place it would fit BINGO lpg worked a dream ,but now have this starting when it feels like it prob wether engine is hot or from cold start, have tried several garages only to be told its a specialists job , garage bought from says not their prob as they sold it as petrol only van !!!!!! mny thx Mark.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello Mark

so to clarify its a dual fuel system

but it won't start on LPG when its hot?

Or does it not start on either fuel when hot?

To be honest hot starting on many LPG system is poor and its common practice to always start up on petrol and then switch over to LPG once the engine is running

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I always start up on petrol then switch over, have probs wether engine is cold or has just done 80 mile round trip
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

OK if the issues only occur on LPG then I'd 1st say to check the tank regulator by measuring the gas pressure at the gas injectors

and also check the state of the electrical connections to the LPG controller thats running the injectors as often with aftermarrket systems the control ECU can be a bit flakey

if you can tell me the make of the sytem then this would help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt, the prob is starting wether van has done a few miles or from a cold start,i don't turn lpg on at all, as a 1.2 engine I find petrol usage just as good as lpg so don't use lpg system
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

OK in that case I'd suggest to consider replacing the spark plugs

especially if any fail this checklist

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

and the LPG usage will be worse than petrol as its not as efficient, however the cost saving is made as teh fuel is about 2/3rds of the cost of petrol

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you