Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Since replacing the gem module on my 2010 1.6tdi Zetec

Customer Question

Hi there, since replacing the gem module on my 2010 1.6tdi Zetec focus, the front heatedwindcreen has stopped working, the button doesn't light up and windscreen doesn't heat. The reversing sensors are also malfunctioning: when you first star the car and go into reverse the reversing sensors been one continuous beep, it does not gauge distance, if going into reverse again on same journey they don't beep at all. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 month ago.

Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response ,
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok was this a brand new gem module that was installed by a ford dealer

Are the parking sensors factory fitted sensors

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiBrian, you actually helped me find and install the gem module. My stereo and 12v sockets had stopped working. The gem mod was second hand from eBay which I fitted.. with your guidance. The parking sensors are factory fitted. Thanks. James

Hi James thanks

I was reading through our previous posts there

I assume everything has been working ok after gem was fitted as you said the parking sensors were working

Have these two faults just appeared

Are these the only 2 things that arent working

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The parking sensors work maybe once every 3 months and that hasn't changed since replacing the gem. The front windscreen has stopped with the change of the gem. Thanks Brian. I'm looking to sell the car in next few weeks so want to get these little bits sorted. Thanks. James
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any clues Brian? Cheers

Hi there James good morning to you

Ok was the fuse design identical to your old GEM as some models don't have a heated front screen

And as mentioned previously in some cases GEM programming has to be done which I suspect is the case hear

As although the gens are the same the programming is different i.e. Your heated screen (programming part ) will show disabled in cases like this we need to switch it to enabled using fords ids

Can you give me your registration number so I. An pull a few diagrams up

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Brian, the gem was identical, as far as I could tell anyways. Is there a fuse number I can check?? My reg is sg60fsv thanks

Hi James ok can you check fuse 100 in GEM module fuse box and fuse 25 in engine junction fuse box

Regards Brian

Also ensure the lower multiplugs are right home on the GEM

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yup will do. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so both fuses are fine... bonnet catch has gone now so had to use a screw driver to get it open!! I really want this car out of my life lol

Hi James

Ok if these fuses are ok then the issue will lie with the programming of the gem

The reason being nearly all the gems are the same but are programmed differently

The vehicle your GEM came out of wouldn't have had a heated front screen

The parking sensor issue isn't connected to the gem at all and is most commonly a sensor issue

Your bonnet issue is caused by a failed bonnet release assembly (you need to have a new build up kit fitted )

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue James please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Brian, so how do I sort reprogramming? What do I do to check/fix the sensors? Thanks
To programme the gem to enable heated sceen operation you need to have the parameter /gem programming changed using fords ids diagnostic equipmentThe parking sensor issue is most commonly a sensor fault but again you need fords ids to correctly diagnose it as the fault leaves a fault code in the parking aid module (as its factory fitted )Kindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
basically I need to take it to ford?
Hi James Unfortunately there is no other way to enable the heated screen
Regarding the parking sensor issues you can commonly diagnose which sensor isn't working by listening to each sensor when the system is onYou will be able to hear a ticking noise from the sensor if it is workingRegards ***** *****
Brian