Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Jeffrey590, have just come across your postings and wonder

Customer Question

Hi jeffrey590, have just come across your postings and wonder if you can help me too?
I am in the U.K. And have 1995 Saab 900s convertible. I have had it for nearly 13years but the last five it has been off the road in storage as I can't bear to part with it - I seem to get somewhat sentimental with cars!
Anyway it is out of storage now and in process of getting road legal again.
All is good generally but there is a problem with the soft top in that when I go to lower it the tonneau cover will not open/release. I have never had any roof issues in the past but since out of storage it won't work.
The rear section of the roof raises correctly as it should, to make space for tonneau to raise. The tonneau catches then should release but it does on one side only.... you can see the cover move slightly on the passenger side as the latch releases but driver side is still firmly fixed in place and doesn't move a millimetre. After this point nothing further happens. I can however close the roof back up, the tonneau re-latches on the passenger side and the rear section of roof lowers back down and latches securely in place. I am hoping it might just be jammed as result of years of inactivity and that oiling/greasing mechanism will get it working...? Can you give me your thoughts and point me in the right direction...? I am worried if I fiddle with it I could make things worse, so would value your expert opinion!
Many thanks in advance, simon
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check for any damaged/chewed wiring from it sitting for so long that may be causing this fault here.I have seen issues with chewed damaged wiring cause this fault needing repaired or replaced.If this is all o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete