sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ST170. The high speed radiator fan

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ST170. The high speed radiator fan is constantly on when I have the heater controls to the screen and the fan on. Once a have selected these settings it does not matter what I do the fan stays on. I know the radiator fan comes on when selecting screen and fan speed 3 but it should not come on with the other settings
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: All fuses are good and no over heating. Runs cool because the fan is always on.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just a lot of testing, not changed anything. Everything works as should until I select windscreen and any heater fan speed. Then the fan cuts in and it runs cold. Nothing apart from stopping the car (engine off) will stop the fan.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's normal operation for the cooling fan to run when you set the system to defrost. Defrost runs the a/c compressor to dry the air in the vehicle. When the a/c compressor is engaged then the cooling fan has to run to pull air through the condenser to keep high side pressure down.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Defrost is the orange symbols. Heater fan 3 and directed to the screen or screen and feet. I have the engine fan spinning when fan 1 and directed to screen then what ever I do the fan stays on until I turn the key off

Any mix of defrost, which means air is directed at the windshield, will run the a/c compressor. You're describing normal operation of any vehicle.