Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have recently had my ford galaxy 2008 1.8 tdci engine

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have recently had my ford galaxy 2008 1.8 tdci engine rebuilt.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: however i have a severe loss of power, the garage took it back and did full diagnostics and found no fault codes but they have not checked fuel filter or injectors as these were not part of the rebuild,they said the engine is fun ctioning correctly, timing, egr, turbo ect all fine
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it stalls when i try to pull of and on the motorway ther is no power at all and feels like its misfiring with a slight engine vibration
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no turbo is fine they advised me to try fuel filter first then check the injectors
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had the engine rebuilt after the wet belt slipped at 122000 miles and totally damaged the engine, I have a severe loss of power when i picked it up last week. the garage took it back and have done a full diagnostics and found no fault codes and have checked the turbo, egr, and timing. They have told me to check the fuel filter first and then the injectors as these were not part of the rebuild. they insist that the internal engine is operating perfectly and that the work they have done is all fine. When i drive the car there is very little power and no response from the pedal, it feels like it is misfiring under load as the engine vibrates slightly as you would expect with a misfire, but when ticking over it sounds ok. So any advise would be of help and how do i know if i have a faulty injector?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 days ago.

I'd agree that checking the fuel pressure should be the next step and considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

to check an individual injector then the only way to do this is to remove it from the engine and have it flow tested

this isn't that expensive often you can have all 4 done for about £40 and the flow testing can often be combined with ultrasonically cleaning which can restore the performance

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
from the symptoms would you say its an injector problem?
Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

an injector problem is possible, but I'd certainly replace the filter 1st as the next step