George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

I need a new rear axle for my 96 Suburban 1500 6,5TD

Customer Question

I need a new rear axle for my 96 Suburban 1500 6,5TD (1GNGK16F1TJ344243). Mine has an 8 lug wheel semifloat (c-clips) with drum. Option code is GU4 in mine with a G80 locker.
I`ve been offered a used Axle from a 6.6 2001 Duramax with low miles. This has 8 lugs and rear disc brake. From what I learned they could have the GT4 option driveline.
That means if I choose to install it, I can not use 4wd before front diff is changed to same. But it should work fine in 2wd I think.
My question is this: Do I need to do something with brake master cylinder when going over to rear disc instead of drums? I know some vehicle has a reducer on rear drums brakelines but have not seen on mine yet. I do have ABS tho..
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 days ago.

Hello I will help,

You are correct, the mismatch between your 3.08:1 front and the 373:1 will tear the transfer case apart if you engage 4WD. As long as you stay in 2WD it will operate correctly.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 4 days ago.

You should install a proportioning valve to be able to adjust the brake force between the front and the rear if you find that you are having trouble stopping or nose diving when you step on the brakes.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi GeorgeI don`t know what to say since you been only confirming my suspicions about gear ratios (also GU4 is 3:42)
Do renember that is has to be legal, adding proportioning valve will result in not road worthy car on MOT/TUV control.My questions about brake master cylinder is not answered.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 day ago.

I will opt out as you operate under different rules than here