Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

I have a problem with the seat sensor on the passanger side

Customer Question

I have a problem with the seat sensor on the passanger side on my A8, 1998 model. It reports an error that causes the airbag warning light to turn on.
As I understand, the purpose of this light is to disable the airbag if no one is sitting in the passenger seat.
Is there a way to disable this sensor and make the airbag in this seat to work always (if a person uses this seat or not) ?
The reason I want to do this is that the car is soon due to be (EU) controlled by the government and no error codes are allowed in the system and of course I want the airbag to work for safety reasonsRegards Dag
JA: I'm the Audi Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No, but the Audi mechanic has read the codes and said it was the mentioned seat sensor that was broken and need to be replaced. But this is rather expensive so I wanted to check of there is another way to solve this problem. As I understand it is not normal to have a sensor like this on other cars and they trigger the airbag regardless if a person uses the seat or not.
JA: Are you fixing your A8 yourself? What have you tried so far? I'm the Audi Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I'm fixing basic things like breaks and mechanical stuff so I'm quite handy. I also have good knowledge in electrical circuitry, but not so much for cars
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i don't think so
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 8 days ago.

Hi .

There is one way one can do this is to fit in the wiring a resistor to get to the resistance of the reading the sensor gives when one is sat in the seat .

Now the resistance reading you could get at the Dealers repair center ,sadly i don't have the reading needed to do this but this will work and eliminate the code .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks! Do you know between witch pins and on whitch connector this resistor should be mounted ?
I found this product that should do the trick, but if only contains a resistor it's quite pricy: Dag
Expert:  Greg replied 8 days ago.

Under the seat is the connection will be a yellow plug .

You should get instructions with the part they send you .if you can find the size of the resistor

you can make this yourself for a few penny's.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will this also make sure that the passenger airbags work as the should in a collision ?
Expert:  Greg replied 7 days ago.

Yes will be active at all times .

WHICH means no baby seats in the front or under 12 year olds in the front passengers seat .

this is the idea of having a seat weight sensor in the botom part of the seat .

Kind regards Greg.