sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a Ram 1500 3.6 Pentastar. P066D code is creating the

Customer Question

I have a Ram 1500 3.6 Pentastar. P066D code is creating the usual (well documented) rev limitations at around 3700 rpm. The oil sensor has been replaced, but the problem remains. I'm guessing the next stage is to replace the dual flow oil pump? Is it a big job? Any help would be appreciated, I'm in the UK, no Dodge / Chrysler dealers here and Jeep don't use the Pentastar here.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming the code was actually P06DD. This is an oil pump solenoid control circuit code. The pump solenoid control wiring would need to be tested to know for sure if there was a short to ground or open between the engine and PCM, but the solenoid is almost surely the cause of the failure. All vehicles I've seen with this code needed an oil pump to repair it.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
For clarity this is the "dual state oil pump" I have read about? Just in case there is two. Can any auto electrician test the wiring? Can you give any further help regarding this that I can pass to my auto electrician?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 18 days ago.

There is only one oil pump. Pressure is controlled electrically with the solenoid we're discussing. Any shop should be able to test the wiring. It plugs into the right side of the block near the front, the control circuit just needs to be tested for a short to power or ground and it should be tested for continuity between the engine and PCM.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the help.However, my mechanic is not sure where the oil pump actually is. Can you give me a clearer idea of its location, and an outline of how to remove it for replacement?Thanks.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 days ago.

It's inside the engine and driven by it's own timing chain at the front of the crankshaft. The lower and then upper oil pan need to be removed, the pump drive chain, pickup tube, the wiring connector needs to be pushed through into the block, and then the pump bolts removed.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Doesn't sound too dramatic. I'm guessing the timing wont need resetting?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Cam timing won't be affected unless they remove the actual timing chain, which they don't need to do.