Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

What causes engine knock in a 5L engine used on a 2004

Customer Question

what causes engine knock in a 5L engine used on a 2004 hilux, valve settings was checked , but that is not the cause, can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the chance of the use of a code reader to check for codes .

Even though you may not have a check engine light "ON" you may still have a knock sensor codes as on this model when this code set does not trip on the check engine light .

Now if you have all services up to-date like spark plugs ,leads etc then you may have a bad knock sensor .this will cause you a engine knock/ping .

This is a typical issue that the wiring from the knock sensor fails and not the sensor .

To gain access to the sensor you will have to remove the intake manifold .

Check for malfunction codes you most likely find a P0325 code which is the knock sensor.

If no codes then pleas eget back to me for further assistance with this issue .

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, Greg I have noted your answers to the question: "what is causing engine knock on a 5l engine used on a 2004 hilux" but I inadvertently omitted to explain that the "5l engine is a diesel engine" which is similar to the 5l-e, the latter equipped with a electronically controlled injection pump, whereas the 5l does not. sorry for the omission.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi .

Okay no problem .

Yes this is a known problem with this Hilux there is a problem with the Injectors

Have the injectors removed and pressure tested ,around the 70.000 k mark these are known to give problem .

If injectors prove to be good have the injection pump tested and calibrated .

Rgds Greg