sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 05 plate x trail with 103k on the clock. Last week

Customer Question

I have a 05 plate x trail with 103k on the clock. Last week the engine lost power, and appeared to go into limp mode. No em light came on. I stopped the engine and started it and it was fine for a day. This has been repeated most days. I have tried a 25 mile blast on the motorway at 4.5k revs, 70mph in 3rd gear with Redex DPFcleaner in half a tank of fuel. We have run the car on Shell V power for 5 years as we get 50 miles more on a tank full than normal fuel
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It is consistent
JA: What is the model of your '05 Nissan?
Customer: 2.2 d model
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no ,looking for some idea of how much it will cost 2 put right, we live rural and have had mice in it years ago, getting in thro the spare wheel well via the ac vents but this is the first time this has happened
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: how do I pay
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine actually went into limp in it's because the engine controller saw a failure in a monitored component or system that would prevent proper operation, and set a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes have set. Have you checked for codes?