Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The problem is that when i start my transit diesel in the

Customer Question

the problem is that when i start my transit diesel in the mornings the throotle pedal does not work until tthe engine warms up , about 2 mniutes . also it is occasinally sluggish . It has had a lot of work done to it but it is the same , now they are suggesting that they fit a new air flow meter . do you think that will work please ?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No it has had a new battery lately
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Just have to check ,
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2008 transit 110 T 280 M FWD 2.2 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it has been to a local garage and they have done various things to it such as Map sensor , EGR valve etc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that it went in originally for a rcker cover gasket leak plus a full service , when it came out there were these probs with the engine not running correctly . they have tuned it some how , but to no avail .
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you