Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Second opinion] - 2004 E46 318i auto showing DME code 2A61

Customer Question

Second opinion] - 2004 E46 318i auto showing DME code 2A61 Valvetronic Adaption. Symtoms are lumpy downchange and premature upchange on auto.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would need to know what has been done here to help best as possible.

This can be a fault with the transmission valve body itself operating incorrectly or needing to be adapted using a compatible scan tool to perform the transmission adaptation.

If you can post what has been done or checked here this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The car was running perfectly before the symptoms I have identified. No work had been done on either the engine or transmission. After the car started changing up prematurely and with a lumpy downchange at low speeds (e.g. approaching a junction) we scanned the codes and only one was reported: 2A61. We plan changing the transmission fluid as the car has now done 73,000 miles. Aside from this change in behaviour, the transmission is silent, there are no noises or smells and it engages from P to D without hesitation. We thought there might be a problem with the Valvetronic motor or eccentric shaft sensor causing a miss-communicatin between the engine and transmission control units. Other possible causes is a failure or the two speed sensors on the GM transmission as these are known to cause problems. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Have you had the adaptations relearned with a compatible scan tool/computer at all to see if this resolves the fault here?In some cases all that is needed is to have the transmission shift adaptations relearned with a compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your model and this may resolve this issue.If this was already attempted let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Resetting the transmission adaptions is a bad idea - they are designed to compensate for wear over time. Resetting them is likely to increase wear and doesn't address the actual problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Unfortunately I dont know if these sensors are common to fail on this model myself here.Others here may have more info on this to help with locating the issue here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete