Ron, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  ASE tech with 34 years of fixing cars

Im offshore and my wife has just called to say the engine

Customer Question

Im offshore and my wife has just called to say the amber engine light has come on on her 2012 plate landrover freelander 2.2l. Is this requiring immediate attention?
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: no diagnostic code run has been done yet. It just come on this morning.
JA: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. Im offshore
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thats enough, as thats all the detail I have
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ron replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 24 days ago.

The engine light come on when the computer system sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to know what is failing a code scan will need to be done as Im sure you know. That being said as long as its not flashing then she is safe to drive it. The computer system has a back up strategy and she will not usually even notice any difference in engine performance and it can wait till you get home if need be to be addressed.