sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Glad you popped up! My timing chain was replaced in 2012

Customer Question

glad you popped up! My timing chain was replaced in 2012 after a non fault collision with a trailer that came smashing into me. My front wheel arch and drivers side was significantly damaged. When I got my car back I noticed and infact complained to my insurers that my car did not feel the same. Few years on and it has significantly lost power, it struggles to get up hills, I am avoiding the motorway and I have my foot to the floor just to get some power, it takes about 3-5 minutes to get to 60mph. Engine light is flashing and it feels like its going to conk out. A garage examined it and told me my camshaft was at 14 degree angle or something so i called back my insurance company who told me to call the repair centre as parts and labour are still under warranty. Now UK assistants are saying only labour is under warrantee. Stressed, they haven't called back or anything and are saying my car was done on the old system so they haven't got direct access to the repairs I had done. I wont let this go easily but I need some advice
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Everyday it feels weak, if I'm driving on a straight for a good few mintues then it gets up to about 70 but rarely
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2006 Audi A3, just reached 110 on clock
JA: Are you fixing your A3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the spark plugs changed, a compression test and the camshaft sensor changed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No difference
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine light is flashing it's because of a severe misfire. You may have more than one issue going on bu if there is 14 degrees cam/crank sync difference then you do have a cam timing issue.

What kind of help were you looking for?