Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech
Experience:  15 yr Master VW/AUDI Technician Shop Foreman
19871424

The dreaded miss fire on cylinder 2, audi a2 se 1.4 2001,

Customer Question

The dreaded miss fire on cylinder 2
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: audi a2 se 1.4 2001
JA: What year is your Audi?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nope, the garage has had a go theve done everyhting except the o2 sensors and the earth points
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: nope, thats what i plan to look at next myself, just windering were these contacts are and the 02 sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, thats it i think
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin o2 sensors will not cause a missfire especially just on one cylinder .first some auestions whats been replaced and what tests have garage carried out ?is missfire there all the time ? At idle ? Worse under load ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Missfire begins shortley after vehicle has warmed up, tests always show cylinder 2, they have changed ecu, manifold, fuel injectors, spark plusgs, coil pack twice, rebuilt engine and still has a missfire
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok and when it was rebuilt what was changed ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all this has happened over the last 4 months, it started with a missfire and oil light comming on, so from there they have worked thre way thrrew everthing from cam, to tippets and full service, went away for a few days and came back, thats when they started on the ecu manifold and fuel injectorsto date i have only payed £1000.00, they are good, just stumped on this and have worked well with all my other vehicles and mates,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could it possibly be the earth contacts some people mention online, faulty ecu thou it is new or even faulty coil pack thou we on the second new one now
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Were valves replaced ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yip, valves were replaced
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok and valve guides checked.? Has a cylinder leakage and compression test been carried out ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yip, they carried those out, even took it to another garage and they checked,
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ive never seen an earth issue cUse a missfire on just one cylinder it doesnt make sense as they all share the same earth .il opt out see if another tech has any ideas

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no worries, thanks for the help, going tot ake it down to my local audi garage
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, has anyone thought of checking the wiring? doing a continuity test from the ecu to the coil pack or injector and also checking for high resistance to ground shorts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't believe so. Just to check were wouldnone find the earth wire or better asked we're s it grounded ?
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.
Im very sorry but im on vacation and the sites mobile app will not allow me to see anything except you are waiting on a reply. Please request another expert so you wont need to wait until i get home. Thank you

there are grounds on the engine at various spots, there are grounds that go from the engine to the frame/chassis.

there are very limited resources for this vehicle. getting a diagram of the locations of the engine grounds isnt possible on my end.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

hanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

is this motor have a single coil with wires or does each plug have a coil right on top of the engine?

please let me know