sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a PT cruiser (latest model). The light and meters on

Customer Question

I have a PT cruiser (latest model). The light and meters on my dashboard goes out while drving. And suddenly they work again and after a while goes out again.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes.
JA: What year is your PT Cruiser?
Customer: I am looking
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have made a read out. And everything is oke
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 2009 model
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things you could have going on and its going to take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.

If the instrument cluster is turning off while driving it's either losing a power or ground or is failing internally.

It appears you have at least had fault codes read. Do you know what codes were found?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No codes read. No failure on bumpy roads. No combinations with airco, heater, lights on etc. The failure can occur or not. Mass is checked. What i see is exactly what you will see when starting the motor (turning the key 2 times before starting). All lights go on. If not enough fuel, you also hear the signal.So it looks likes the car is saying while driving... He... the motor is off (all meters down except the meter for the tempature) and almost at the same moment everything goes on a again (just like putting the keys in the contact and make a turn) so the car can control everything before starting the motor.This can happen ones. Not at all while driving or 10 times in a drive of 30 minutes.And no failures read, but when reading there where no failures. It only happens when regards, Rob
Is the cluster turning off completely and then back on?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
but for a spilit second.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
split second... sorry

It would take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure but what I usually seeing causing this on a PT is a bad ignition switch causing a momentary loss of power.