Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The pedal on my 2008 220d goes almost to the floor before

Customer Question

the pedal on my 2008 220d goes almost to the floor before anything happens. Then it like I've slammed then on. So either nothing of everything.
JA: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?
Customer: IS 220d SE 175bh
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only bleeding the system
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

can you tell me if the master cylinder has been replaced ? as if it has then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside

the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results by just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS and then re-bleed

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you