Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Am in the desert beach and suddenly the engine started

Customer Question

Am in the desert beach and suddenly the engine started overheating. Am around 20 km from a service center
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: It is a hummer H2 came just from service
JA: What year is your H2?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No just got it but have send it for service last week
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to cool the radiator with icecold water
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 28 days ago.

As a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark on the tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.

If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you