sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Fuse 5 on 2001 audi tt blows. The instrument binnicle fuel

Customer Question

Hi there, fuse 5 on 2001 audi tt blows. The instrument binnicle fuel gauge, temp gauge and the backlighting doesnt work. I had the instrument binnicle repaired, but the same fault happened, so the ecu testing company thinks that it is something external to the binnicle. Do you have any ideas or knowledge on this please?
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your TT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had the instrument binnicle repaired. they changed resistors, transistors and stuff. The binnicle was plugged back in, fuse blew. Replaced with another 7.5 A
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, i haven't finished, pressed the enter button by mistake
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The instrument binnicle has now reverted back to the original fault. I have scanned fault codes and have only picked up an ABS fault on a wheel sensor. The system used was VCDS lite
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the fuse only blows when the instrument cluster is plugged in then the problem is in the cluster. If it will blow with the cluster unplugged then you have a short to ground in the wiring.

It appears the fuse only blows with the cluster plugged in, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The answer came too late. I was led to believe that I'd be speaking to someone straight away, not your issue I know, but I've rectified the problem now

I'm glad you got it repaired.