Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

HELP !!!!!! I had my engine rebuilt at a garage after the

Customer Question

HELP !!!!!!I had my engine rebuilt at a garage after the timming belt went on my ford transit connect 2011.
It cost me £2500 to fix and half way in the bpf blocked as the exhaust was not hot enough as I was only driving at 50mph and only reving up to 2000rpm and was told I need to pay £350 to fix so I did as I needed the van back asap for work as I was without my van as it took the garage 4 weeks to fix the engine.
Now I have done 1300miles and on the way home from work the van overheated so I took it back to the garage that done the works as the rebuild is under garage warranty for 3month.
The garage phoned to say it is the head gasket has gone and that they have phoned there local lloyds motors to where they got the head gasket from when I was told they used all genuine Ford parts.
But the garage are telling me I need to pay to get the head skimmed as it was not skimmed when they rebuild the engine Should I have to pay this ?. But my concern is if the head was not skimmed this it was not pressure tested to see if there was any cracks after the belt snapping . But with the garage giving me warranty would there be liable for all costs or skimming head and replacing gaskets or replacing heads if cracked
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi Ricky,

I can't see how they could give you a warranty without doing the normal necessities for an engine rebuild.

Ensuring the head and block surfaces are flat and correct finish is vital for head gasket reliability.

They clearly need to honour the whole repair.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi Ricky,

I have seen many sloppy engine rebuilds before, from people I have worked with.

I would bite my tongue.

Headgaskets do not fail on their own.

Insufficient or incorrect torque sequence, incorrect surface finish or warpage beyond max spec (flatness) are the usual culprits.

Hope the repairer warrants the whole repair as they should.

To me, the whole engine should be removed for strip and repair, skim block and head as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Kk thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi Ricky,

I see you have asked this question a few times.

You have answered to two techs now, so please in future, just ask once.

A tech will be with you soon after you ask.

Please rate my service at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards

Gary