Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified

Xk8 jaguar 1998. hood problem, oil level ok, no leaks, fresh

Customer Question

xk8 jaguar 1998. hood problem, oil level ok, no leaks, fresh green oil but at opening of the hood, rear windows go down, but the hood won;t open and indicates "cabrio vergrendeling storing" which is "hood closing failure". Q = is this a swith problem somewere?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: these are not replaced as far as I know
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well been to a jag dealer this morning and filled the oil reservoir with the right type of oil with about 100 - 150 cc. It did not solved the problem at that moment, but later on the message disappeared an all functioned well. but now at gives the same failure message.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Q = In my opinion it is not a hydraulic failure but some type of electric (end swith) disfunction?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
this could be a bad micro switch on the header or the right hand hood lift cylinder piston as there are two for that piston. Without the Jag factory tool to monitor these it will be difficult. We can pop down the overhead console and make sure the electrical connector is clean and secure. If you have a digital multimeter we can test the circuits. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a digital multimeter. Is it to check at the relais somewere?