Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

It clunks into 1st gear when slowing to a stop. Also it has

Customer Question

It clunks into 1st gear when slowing to a stop.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: Also it has reduced power but is changing gears
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: S 320 diesel 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been serviced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They changed something (filter?) in exhaust which worked for several weeks now it has come backe Also amber engine light is on
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With the check engine light on having a scan tool plugged in you can have the codes read out this way to help diagnose and locate the fault here.This should be the first thing that is done.

With reduced power,clunk when slowing and check engine light on I suspect a transmission code is set that will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

I have seen issues with pressure control and shift solenoid faults in the valve body as well as the valve body itself in the transmission act up and cause this issue needing replaced.These are the common components but the codes will need read out/checked to help locate and pinpoint which component for sure is at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete