Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I've got a ford custom van, every time I make a phone call

Customer Question

Hello, I've got a ford custom van, every time I make a phone call via sync the other person complain's they can hardly hear me for a sound of rattling cans, it gets worse the faster I drive but I can hear them crystal clear so I have no idea what they're talking about. Any ideas what to do to stop it?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It's been going on for a few months and I use an iPhone 6, it stopped recently for a short while but it's started again. It's only heard by the other person when I'm driving
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: it's a custom transit van 2013, when i get out of the van the noise goes away but when talking via sync and the speaker it's not the phone it's just when I'm talking via sync
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Spoke to ford dealer, they want it for a day which I can't do, I've done a reset but it didn't work, I've deleted my phone and re synced/ paired it, so far nothing, a friend said something about taking out a particular fuse, no 37 I think???
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

You need to turn the mic volume down on your phone.

Very common complaint with iPhone 6.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No that didn't work! As soon as the vehicle starts to move the noise comes back!
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Have you been to the dealer?

Does it do this if you just rev the engine while standing still?

Does it do this with another phone paired to the van?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spoke to the dealership but they said they had no idea and would have to take it in for the day which I can't do. It stopped doing it recently but it's started again, the noise is there as soon as I make a call, it's not until you start moving it makes the noise louder, if you Rev the engine it's just the same as sitting there, the faster you go the worse it gets. As soon as you take the phone out of the vehicle it's all fine. It's only started doing it in the last 5 months, the previous 2 years it's been ok except the annoying feedback your caller gets once you start to reverse, then I have to terminate the call and redial once I'm moving properly again. I have no idea what the noise is as I can't hear it but it's been described as rattling tin cans
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I think you should take it to the dealer.

They have the best chance of repairing this.

It sounds like a poor ground.

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Have you had any luck with the dealer on this?

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I don't have time to go to the dealer, they want to keep it for the day and that's not possible. My friends son has sorted the problem, he had exactly the same issue with his car and it's the microphone that's come loose. I looked up and saw the same has happened, pushed it back into position and now it's sorted.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

That's good you have sorted it.

Of course, I could have fixed it for you earlier if I was with you.

To me, it should have been quiet, even with the engine running, and only start to make noise as you were moving.

Things are difficult as a remote tech.

Kind regards

Gary