Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Central locking on my 2006 Touring 320D has failed. Has

Customer Question

Central locking on my 2006 Touring 320D has failed. Has deadlocked all doors. Can open drivers door with key. Can start and drive car therefore. Can hear clicks all around car when fob is pressed. Locks seem to be getting a signal from fob. Can open boot with fob boot button. Have disconnected battery for a few hours but not cured or reset. Have tried a few sequences of pressing/holding fob buttons and can hear various activations but still cant lock or unlock doors with normal fob action. Any ideas ?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes - replaced it but no difference. I have another fob but no difference in the way the car reacts.
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to diagnose problem myself so I don't get the run-around from dealer ( I rang them and straight off they said they'd have to change all the locks and issue new fob at over £2k cost. I've only disconnected battery - advised by a work colleague that it worked for him - but no good for mine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, I think that's it. Thanks. Paul Smythe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this doesnt sound like a remote/fob issue here.This sounds more like a fault with the locking receiver itself.I have seen some of these fail before needing replaced.Unfortunately what has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This will require a fully compatible scan tool to read all computers to check these codes to diagnose and repair them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Pete. You're too late I'm afraid ...I had to send the car in for repair. Waiting for their diagnosis today.
Thanks anyway. Regards. Paul
ps I assume I won’t be charged for this.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Once again I apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete - I can't rate your service because your reply was too late to be of any use to me - I had to send the car in for repair to the dealer. Regards
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

No problem.If there is anything else we can help with in the future let me know.

Thanks Pete