sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I also have a oil light blinking and beeping sound. Doesn't

Customer Question

Hi I also have a oil light blinking and beeping sound. Doesn't happen all the time but after reading your description of the oil light sensors and how they work, I will now check my wiring for a damaged wire.
I also have a strange problem with my rev counter dial on my dashboard and don't know if connected with my oil light wiring problem. It is very erratic. At idol and at higher revs. I wondered if you could help. I have a vw 1.9d transporter ABL engine. Thanks in advance
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hi im kevin sorry for delay what year is your transporter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for delay aswell.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

I dont have wiring diagram for your model so im gonna opt out on this one

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Surely being a mechanic it's easy to get a wiring diagram?
Anyway, I'm still waiting on an answer from just answer.
Regards Jon
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I see that your question has been up for an extended time without a response and while although my information on this vehicle is limited I would like to try to help seeing that noone else has been able.

Assuming the oil is full and there are no abnormal noises from the engine, the most likely cause for the oil light coming on would be the sender.

Is the light coming on only at idle or low speeds?

Has the oil level been checked?
Has pressure been checked with an actual gauge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi thanks for a reply.
Ive attached a pdf file which contains the original post that my question started to mention. This was taken from just answer website by one of your experts. After you reading I'm sure you understand that i also follow and understand it and i do think my blinking oil light and sound are a loose wire somewhere which is grounding out somewhere.
Though my real question was what i said at the end, which is the erratic rev counter and would like a answer if possible o that question?

What exactly is the tach doing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is a tach?

The tach is the gauge that shows engine speed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At idle it should be at tick over but pulses up with from 10 000 upto approx 12000. And also whilst driving it again pulses, seems to rise more at higher speeds. Yet every now and then it is stable.

I assume you mean it's idling at 1,000-1,200 RPM? Is the issue with the tach or with actual engine speed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I mean 1000-1200, sorry.
The tach is erratic , not the engine speed.

It would be best to use a scan tool to ensure the crank sensor signal is correct, but if the engine light isn't on and it runs correctly that shouldn't be a concern. If the tach is just inaccurate then the instrument cluster will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you not think its anything to do with my grounding out wiring for my blinking oil light and beeper? Erratic tach gauge doesn't do it all the time, it is stable most of the time. And the blinking oil light is only on a few times in the month.

The tach and oil light are not related.