sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Mercedes E220 Diesel Estate 2004 built. It is not

Customer Question

Dear Sir.
I have a Mercedes E220 Diesel Estate 2004 built. It is not starting well and I am told I need a Contact 61 part and that the ESP needs checking. This was while on vacation from a non specialist Mercedes mechanic. Does this make sense please?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can cause a starting issue. I'm assuming that the starter isn't engaging when the problem happens. You could have a cable or connection issue, the problem could be transmission range sensor related, the engine controller may not be awake, the problem may be with the electronic ignition switch.

Do you hear any noise from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position at the time it doesn't start?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is a "whioring sound" that I believe is not the engine.

Does the noise only happen when the key is in the crank position?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it carries on sometimes after I have removed the key. The diagnostic reading said I need a Contact 61 part plus the ESP to be checked. Does that sound right to you thanks Andrew

That doesn't make technical sense or appear related to a starting issue. Do you have actual fault code numbers? They would start with a C, U, or P.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't have a fault number
I'd really need the actual codes to decipher them. I don't believe they are related to the starting issue.