Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I'm the owner of a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta SEL in the

Customer Question

I'm the owner of a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta SEL in the Middle-east region. In my country not all options are possible the dealers chose not to provide options such as navigation, rear view camera, LED tail lights bi-xenon headlights ..etc. After a bit of research I found out about retrofitting such features so I decided I would go about purchasing the vehicle and later retrofitting these extra features on my own.
It was a big challenge I admit, some things went OK but not without a hit and miss here and there..
First, I purchased and installed an RNS510 radio to replace the stock RCD510. This gave me navigation and was the easiest of all.
Next, I purchased and installed a rear view camera kit as well as LED tail lights. Switching the tail lamps was easy however for the rear view cam the install was a bit lengthy although successful at the end. It took several days of getting the right tools, soldering wires and routing cables under trim but it worked OK in the end.
After a while I decided I would venture into bi-xenon and AFS retrofitting. I had seen how difficult this can be from many articles on various forums on the web and the process that involves working by the engine bay, underneath the vehicle and such. But I wanted to do it, so I planned it well after getting all the parts, tools, adapters I started this process more than two months now. While I got most things working I am still baffled by sidelights and DRL not working. I did many workarounds and tweaking including replacing the adapters, testing voltage and VAG coding. But nothing seems to work even though all the wiring, fuses, relays are OK. It's affecting both left and right headlamps so I'm less inclined to believe the headlights themselves are the problem but even so I tried replacing the side lamps bulbs and it was no different.
When testing voltage it shows 10-12 volts for the wire coming from pin 6 (main beam/dipped beam) but only 4.7 volts for the wire coming from pin 10 (side lamps & DRL). Is this normal or a symptom of the problem? I tried reconnecting pin 6 to pin 10 and splicing both wires to try to get the side lamps to work but to no avail. Is there a way to test the function of side lamps/DRLs in the headlights themselves independently from the vehicle?
I appreciate your insights and I apologize for being lengthy..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases special programming is needed to allow components like this to run and operate properly.This is programming that is usually needed to be done by a dealer in most cases.If you have not checked into this to see if this can be done and if this will correct this fault here this should be done.If this was or is checked into and is found o.k. or not the cause for this issue here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is indeed a programming error there is a specific parameter I should set in the central electronics box. I already have the necessary tools to do the programming myself. I will try it and reply back to you.However two questions I posted which are not specific to any model which you may help. Is having 4.7 volts normal in any car when supplied to headlights? and if there is a way to test the headlights independently from the vehicle (like by using 12v cell batteries for example)
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Usually you have 12 volts to normal halogen bulbs and for xenon you have 12 volts to the igniter or control ballast to energize them.