Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Won't start. System gets stuck booting. It displays a red

Customer Question

Won't start. System gets stuck booting. It displays a red triangle and beeps once, no further progress after that. SatNav display remains dark, and the fuel level indicator blocks do not display as if there were no fuel at all. Have jump started it with an external battery to no avail. Have had it with Toyota to take a look, they loaded the battery and the problem went away for a week. They told me the car needs longer tours to re-load the 12V battery, but in recent days I did take longer journeys yet the car will still not start.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: nope. performs at just below 60 miles per gallon. Does not start as normal. Key inserted, foot on brake all that comes up i the yellow engine symbol. If I insert key and press the power button w/o stepping on the brake the system cones up to the read triangle and gets stuck.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried to jump start w/ external battery. Disconnected the 12V physically and reconnected it alltogether to ensure it boots from defined point, no success here either. Had a msg a few weeks back about the immobiliser, and rocked the car a bit to see if that would get the system unstuck, but no success here, too.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Some strange, an perhaps unrelated side effects are that the hatch no longer opens, and only the driver door (we're in the UK, so the door on the right) unlocks with the remote. All other doors remain locked.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the battery connections were not checked this needs done to see if there are any loose,corroded or damaged wiring or connections.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. I would have the electronic ignition switch tested when this is acting up to see if any issues are found at all.If these were already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete