sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 07 Citroen C4 Picasso Auto that has suddenly come

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have a 07 Citroen C4 Picasso Auto that has suddenly come up with "Handbrake Failure" followed by "ESP/ASR system faulty" message on dashboard. Since this message, the handbrake does not engage or disengage automatically - it has to be done manually after switch-off and before start. Any ideas how to resolve and what would be a rough estimate?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes to both.
JA: What is the model of your '07 Citroen C4 Picasso?
Customer: VTR+ HDI RGS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Diesel 1560cc
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I took it to a local garage for diagnostic and they said the reset the ECU but the fault didn't go away and they said best to take it to Citroen dealer. :(
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin did the garage give you any indication of fault codes that are in the car ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kevin
No they didn't! They just reset the ECU hoping that the fault will resolve but it didn't.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok i will need codes to assist properly the motor isnot an uncommon failure on your model

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I don't have the code. If you can't help me without the code then please cancel my order and process refund.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These warning lights are coming on because the control module is seeing a failure in a component in the system and setting a fault code. It's going to take some testing to determine the cause of the problem, there are dozens of possible causes including speed sensors, the brake switch, the ABS module itself; any component in the ABS system could cause the lights. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a code reader or scan tool to determine what fault codes are setting and then testing needs to be done based on that. Unfortunately there isn't a way to know what is causing the problem or to know what direction diagnostics will take without knowing what codes are setting.