Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Ignition key wont turn so cant start engine, yes, ls430

Customer Question

ignition key wont turn so cant start engine
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: ls430 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it has happened before and have managed to free it after turning ignition switch back and too it will eventually make a clicking sound and then can get the key to turn and start the engine. My husband died last month and it was his car so I am stuck without him
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It was taken away to Lexus garage in Chester by RAC on low loader and when Lexus looked at it it was working and they could find no fault. Seems to be an intermitent fault
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On some models this is an issue with the steering lock itself at fault needing replaced or an issue with the ignition cylinder wearing down internally needing rebuilt or replaced.If you can get a new key cut from a dealer this is the best option to try here first as if your key is worn this will cause this fault as well and is most common.If a new key does not correct the fault then this will have to be checked into further to locate the source of the fault and then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete