Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified

I have a Jaguar XF 3 l desiel 10 plate I had a huge engine

Customer Question

Hi I have a Jaguar XF 3 l desiel 10 plateI had a huge engine failure when the piston came out the side of the engineThis happened at fairly low revsHowever when this happened I switched ignition of and the gear selector went park in the down positionWhen the recovery came I put theignition on to put into neutral but it failed to rise and we ended up having to use the mechanical overideThe gear selector has never given a problem before the engine failure and the car as not moving when the failure occurredThe car now has new engine fitted with no fault codes showing
However the selector will not rise and the engine will not start just a click noise heardBattery is charged any ideas to what it could beIs the a fuse or relay to checkMany thanksBest regardsBob
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: Battery good it went into park when engine failed and the when ignition on to tow on truck it would not raise up and had to use manual release to put into neutral all connections are good air vents open but selector will not rise up
JA: What year is your XF?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All the obvious no falt codes found red start button pulsates
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
If you press the start switch with your foot off the brake so just the ignition is powered up in the P on the shifter lite up red?