sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Subaru Forester (2005), 2.0, 116kW, gasoline, MT,

Customer Question

I have a Subaru Forester (2005), 2.0, 116kW, gasoline, MT, engine is EJ20. My A/C suddenly stopped working. When I push the button, the light turns on, but the clutch does not engage. I checked the relay and it is fine, but it gets no signal to turn on. I tried setting the relay manually and the clutch engaged as intended. I had the A/C refilled a few weeks ago and it was working fine until it suddenly stopped. What could be causing that the relay gets no voltage to switch?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The Freon may have leaked out low pressure will cause the compressor not to come on. You could also have a bad pressure switch, I would check for leaks in the system first.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You need a set of ac gauges to check the system pressures while the engine is running and the ac is on.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I highly doubt it is caused by lack of gas/pressure. First of all, I had it refilled about a month ago and it was almost completely full back then. If I remember correctly, capacity was 320g. After all, if I force the clutch to engage by removing the relay and using a wire instead, it immediately blows freezing air. Do you know where the pressure switch is located? When should it bi in ON/OFF position? Also, do you have any wiring diagrams of the electronics and don't mind sharing it? I am an electrical engineer so I can debug electrical issues.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok yes probably not a refrigerant leak issue. I can send you a wiring diagram for the ac system with the premium service.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Turbo or non turbo?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is premium service? Am I going to end up spending for premium the same as if I would've taken the car to the official dealer? Non-turbo, 2.0, 116kW, DOHC.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Its only $5 extra

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Dan, I found on the web a complete service manual for my car. Do I still need to pay the extra 5$? Do I get this refunded as well if we don't get the problem fixed? I don't mean to be a ****head, I just don't trust the internet to be fair. Hope you understand.Other then that, I checked the double pressure switch, it is fine. I think I am not getting a signal from the ECM. I will check that later today.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You will have to contact customer service for a refund, I am just a user of the site like you.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh, I honestly had no Idea, you were just a user. Anyway i didn't have time to have a look at the car yet (I went to a little vacation instead). I will let you know when I do.

Ok.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got it fixed. There was a bad connection in the front panel I guess. I disconnected and reconnected the cables and it works fine now. Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm glad you got it fixed!