Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I will start with exactly what me and my friend did to the

Customer Question

hello, i will start with exactly what me and my friend did to the car and were ive ended up.. firstly i own a vauxhall astra sri 1.9cdti 150 on a 55 plate, ive owned the car for 2 years now and have had nothing but problems which have cost more than the cars actually worth but i had finally got the car on the road which was a relief but 2 weeks later the car with the spanner appeared on the dash and my mate says change your fuel filter its easy?? he done his vectra in 10mins so i said fine, so we changed it exactly as he said and never touched anything else but now my car will not start it just cranks and cranks but will not fire up!! so since then ive had the fuel injector return pipe renewed and the fuel rail renewed renewed
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have used easy start which would make the engine fire up but for a second or two before it cut out again!! ?? im stuck as i dont want to buy things i dont need to replace, if i pulled up and all was fine till i changed fuel fillter then i imagine the parts ive been told to change would be fine and dont need changing??
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check and make sure the fuel filter seal isnt leaking as well as the fuel filter as this will allow air to enter the fuel system causing this fault here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. if you can add fuel to your filter I would try and do this and see if this allows the engine to start and run then as well.If neither of these work or is the issue here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello ive done what you have said but no luck, everything was fine till i changed the fuel filter and now it just cranks n cranks till my battery dies which is really annoying.. so im stuck and have had no car for over a month now so any help would be grat
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried to replace the fuel filter at all again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have only changed it the one time which is when this all happened !? im open to try anything to get the car running again as im still paying for it...
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,try replacing it again since this only occurred after it was replaced just in case there is some kind of defect in the filter that is installed as this can occur.If this does not resolve the issue here let me know.

Thanks Pete