sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My BMW X3 2008 model petrol engine looses power while

Customer Question

My BMW X3 2008 model petrol engine looses power while climbing steep hills,it does it mostly when theres AC and does it occasionally without AC. It will climb slowly when I engage gear 1 and when I put gear 2 it will sometime pick power all of a sudden and sometimes I will drive drive just fine. What could the problem be ?? Jude.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you're either experiencing a lack of engine power or possibly engine limp in. If the engine controller sees an issue that could potentially cause damage or incorrect RPM control then it can limit power intentionally. An electronic throttle control system issue is an example of when the engine will go into limp in.

There are many things that could cause a lack of power and it's going to take some testing to determine what is happening. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?