sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Hej there. i have just got my transmission changed for the

Customer Question

Hej there. i have just got my transmission changed for the second time within a month but this time also the speedsensor. Transmission is recycled bur sensor brand new. Engine lamp turns on efter just 1000 km, speedometer does not work, automatic doorlock does not go on and when driving and cruisecontrol is out of order. This is a 2,0 from 2001 270.000 km on the clock, but drive as a dream. Can you help me??
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Don't know about the trouble codes. There are non if I reset but engine lamp still on. This is the speedsensor
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - I have got it repaired it in a garage and we have had it in Chryslergarage last time when I hade same problem and the said we should change geatbox, whivh we did
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the speedometer stopped working at the same time the transmission stopped shifting then either the transmission control module isn't awake or there is no output speed sensor signal. Loss of speed sensor signal could be the sensor itself, wiring and connections.

What model is the vehicle?
Do you know what fault codes are currently setting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2,0 Gasoline from 2001. No I don't know the fault code, and when I reset according to the manual there are no faultcodes. I have no problems with the transmission shift, but speedometer just stopped working while car was parked and after around*****the engine lamp started lightning. Speedometer stand on 0 and when I reset it seems the speedometer is ok. Excactly same problem as I hade before changing gearbox (which I have done 3 times now) and lastest also put in a brand new speedsensor. The fault also cause problem when driving - The car goes out when the clutch pedal is depressed by slowing down at roundabouts and right or left turn. Seems as if the car can not figure out how to idling speed. Last two times the problem was solved by changing gearbox, and latest also changing speedsensor, but problem come again after few weeks.

Do you actually have a manual transmission?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Replacing the transmission wouldn't have affected the engine light then.

The engine light comes on because the engine controller sees an issue and sets a fault code. You need to start by reading the fault codes and then testing can be done from there based on what is set.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks. Will do that tomorrow and then I return to you��

Great!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been to the mechanic to day and the fault is excactly like two last times. If you remove the speed sensor can be seen in the plastic gear wheel of the gearbox is not working as it should. You could put it back in place, but if you drive backwards more than a few meters, it does not work again. Is it a general error, it is now 3. gearbox with the same problems or can be solved in any other way than changing the gearbox ??? Many greetings Michael

What fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't give any

The engine light is not coming on as initially stated?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The enginelight comes on after driving a while, but my mechanic is sure about the problem. Just don't understand same fault come again and again when i have srives backward and shift to 1st gear for driving forward.

The problem has been diagnosed by the shop then?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We know we can get a new plastic gearwheek to replace in the gearbox but it's not broken and just cause problems after driving reverse

I'm glad they were able to get it diagnosed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am I but isn't there a better solution than keep changing gearboxes. I can't be the only one with this problem and my mechanic tells me that it seems to be bad using plastic gear wheel in the gearbox?

I believe you're referring to the plastic gear on the speed sensor, it's not part of the transmission.

Your last two posts have said that the problem had been diagnosed, meaning they have identified what is causing your problem. Is that not correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a little difficult to explain even in danish, but it's not the speed sensor. Where you place the sensor is a plastic something in the gearbox that fit to the gearwheel on the sensor. Thats wherethe problem is and we have bow had same problem with 3 used different gearboxes and when we (the shop) repair it only last untill I drive backward some few times. That why I ask if there is any better solution. Ir cost me a fortune in changing gearboxes every 3rd week
What is your VIN?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean by VIN?

The Vehicle Identification Number.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, it's
1C8FYNB911T292199

There is a plastic gear on the differential carrier which the speed sensor drive gear engages, this must be what they're referring to. It's a $14.50 part.

Is the same speed sensor and drive gear being swapped into each transmission? The repeat failures have to be due to installation error or something going on with the sensor or drive gear.