Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

My vw golf mk3 has no battery light with my ignition key in

Customer Question

hello, My vw golf mk3 has no battery light with my ignition key in the on position
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: battery is reading 12.5V
JA: What year is your Golf?
Customer: alternator has no output
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1996/1997
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: So far, I have put in a new voltage regulator, but I found the 1 wire exciter was frayed
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Repaired exciter wire as I was getting intermittent overcharging, got 12V on exciter wire when ignition is on, but battery light does not show on dash.
Alternator is not charging, when running voltage is at 12.3V and dropping.Refitting
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also tried putting the pin from the exciter wire directly to the connector on the alternator to ensure it wasnt the plug, but I still have no battery light on the dash with ignition on and no engine running
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** can be caused by the bulb being burnt out in the cluster, if it is, the alternator will not charge, it is easy to check if you have a voltmeter or test light, do you have either?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi There,I have just checked the light circuit in the cluster by connecting the D+ wire from the ignition switch to the ground of the alternator and the light illuminated. So the bulb isnt burnt out and my dash circuit is working.It seems that my D+ is not connecting to ground. I have taken my alternator off the car and I am inspecting it on my desk right now. I have cleaned the regulator with some contact cleaner. Brushes are still good, I am not sure If I have a bad contact to the ground on the regulator or the contact in the connector is broken at this point. Any advice? I have no continuity checking on my voltmeter.