Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a CL63 and just recently there is a whirring noise

Customer Question

Hi, I have a CL63 and just recently there is a whirring noise that appears intermittently when the car has warmed up. It doesn't do it out of gear when cold but does continuously when warm. However, when i'm driving, it is totally intermittent and i can't think of a speed/ gear or anything that leads to when it occurs ?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It's just done 40,000 miles and the car is 5 years old and has been regularly serviced
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: it's a 2010 CL63 AMG
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to take it to the main dealer and take a technician out with me ?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really, the vehicle runs perfectly apart from this
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

I'd start by checking the transmisson oil level as this sounds like the torque convertor may be partially empty to me

if this is OK then I'd suggest to jack the car up on each corner and trun each wheel by hand to ensure that the brakes aren't binding or otherwise catching

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you