Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a 2009 nissan murano SL. VDC off, anti slip and ABS

Customer Question

hey there. i have a 2009 nissan murano SL. VDC off, anti slip and ABS lights on came on randomly. Checked brake fluid it was totally full and i recently i changed brake pads all around 2 months prior to these lights appearing. My brake lights work which I read could cause an issue. Just wanted to get your opinion if possible! Ran a OBD scanner and the following codes appeared- p1722, p1701, u1000 - system and circuit error, u0415, b2553, b2557, c1729. I dont have the money to take it to Nissan so any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much in advance.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: just the abs
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked brakes, brake fluid, restarted ECU
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

those codes indicate an issue with a wheel speed sensor

and with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you