Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

X type 2.2 diesel estate 56 reg.I have had to replace all 4

Customer Question

X type 2.2 diesel estate 56 reg.I have had to replace all 4 brake discs and pads, checked several sites before starting especially how to push the rear wheel cylinders back. when I tested the brakes the foot pedal slowly dropped to the floor. On my older cars I had worked on this I think would indicate the master cylinder was passing back. I have replaced the master cylinder and bled all the brakes but there is no change in the foot peddle. I have since trawled the net and several sites indicate that the bleed valves on the wheel cylinders should to opened before pushing the wheel cylinders back to fit new pads, this I did not do. The servo is holding a vac, the brake do work and don't bind but the foot pedal slowly goes down.system before changing the discs and pads. some site suggest the ABS may have been damaged pushing the wheel cylinders back without opening the bleed valves, Can you help.
JA: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?
Customer: I had no problem before the change and the pedal works fine it is free to move up and down
JA: What year is your Estate?
Customer: 56 reg
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All the information is in my first text as to how I have come to this point
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only that the net is full of people with problems with x type breaks following pad/disc replacements
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hi im kevin what is pedal like without car running ?