Nathan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ3 Motor Vehicle mechanics, with 20+ yrs experience and 4 years running my own garage.

Engine malfunction warning which disappears after turning on

Customer Question

Engine malfunction warning which disappears after turning on and off the engine.happened four times today. Third time engine light came on and stayed on. Fourth time had difficulty with starting car which is an smax 2008
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No test yet. only have the car a week. It did stall yesterday as I was turningcorner, but I assumed that was cos I took leg off clutch too quickly;
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 smax 2ltitre diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and nothing yet as i don't know what todo
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't think so
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

Welcome to

I hope i can help you today.

The engine malfunction light should come on every time you switch on the ignition and it should go out a few seconds after starting as it has to run a system check after starting to make sure everything is ok and then it goes out.

The engine light can come on during driving though for lots of reasons so your first port of call i'm afraid is to get the car put on a diagnostic computer at a garage to get the fault codes read and from there we can come to a proper answer.

You can post the fault codes on this thread and i will help you to come to satisfactory answer.

Only one quick question though. Did you buy the car private or from a dealer?

I strive to make sure that customers are happy with the service that they receive from me, so please rate my answer when you are completely satisfied with my answer and any feedback is very much appreciated. Also, you can still post on this thread even after you have rated my answer as this doen't close out the question.

Thank you in advance