Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I"m having the same trouble as the question, hard shifting

Customer Question

hello, I"m having the same trouble as the question, hard shifting on my manual 2006 redline ion2
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: it's a 2006 so 6 years, I brought the car in 2009
JA: What is the model of your '06 Saturn?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: DOORS
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: haven't tried anything, don't know how. was advised to take to a transmission place, which I plan on doing today
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is my ANSWER, I've paid.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** hear to give you a helping hand. is this a manual transmission? when you say it's hard shifting do you mean the lever feels stiff moving it or the transmission feels hard going into gears possibly grinding between gears when shifting? If it's grinding or hard going into gears then I would suspect the sencro rings are worn , they are rings in the transmission that mesh the gears smoothly. What happens over time and type of driving the edges wear off and they loose the ability to smoothly mess the gears together causing hard and sometimes grinding.. has the trans oil been changed recently? Sometimes just changing the oil with a lighter grade helps but if not the n it's an expensive trans over haul or replacement. but if that's not your scenario and it's just hard shifting with the lever it could be one of two things. the cable pivot at the transmission could be siezed and needs to be freed up and lubricated or the cable itself needs replacing. Hope this helps, let us know. Good luck