Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited

Ive got a 2004 r171 slk 200. My drivers seat refuses to move

Customer Question

Hi, ive got a 2004 r171 slk 200. My drivers seat refuses to move backwards or recline. Just keeps moving closer to steeering till you cant fit. Motor still clicks though. From other threads, i followed the 10 second hold, backward forward story. It worked for 5 minutes. Guys talikg about replacing a relay. I have no clue where its situated. Right hand drive model in South Africa. Please help-Searle Kruger
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 121000km. Car starts normally. Usually wrapped. Used on weekends
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Ive removed seat to check for obstacles, checked fuses,10 second reset method
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nah. Never had a days problem with this car until 2 days ago with seat. Car immaculate
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 2 months ago.

I've come across this several times where the seats flip forward to allow the rear seat occupants out, until the system recognises the seat is back in the normal position, all it will allow is forward movement to assist the rear occupants exit.

Check around the area for a micro switch, this is what tells the seat control module, it might need cleaning, if not you could bypass it to resolve the issue.

In my opinion this is more likely than a relay, let me know how it goes.

I assume this has helped as you viewed a few days ago and have not had any follow up questions, therefore please could you rate ;)