Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

My Jaguar grounded out over a 2 inch metal plate in the

Customer Question

Hi, my Jaguar grounded out over a 2 inch metal plate in the ground before showing the warning "the vehicle is too low". It hadn't been driven for a number of days. The mechanic could find no fault and returned the car today at the normal height. Could this be a slight air suspension leak masked by the fact that engine was mostly running when it was at the garage?
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: The ride was fine before the problem. No fluid under car
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2006 XJ Soveteign
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have no ability to fix this! The car is under warranty - I have owned it for 2 weeks. I am planning not to drive it for a week but measure the height the the wheel arches each day to see if it is lowering
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, that's the only problem
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like we may have a slow leak from one of the shocks or possibly a weak compressor. We need to monitor the ride height from each wheel to see if we can detect a drop in one. This can be a little tricky to do as the vehicle needs to be parked on level ground. The ride height can be measured from the center of the wheel center cap to the center of the wheel arch. If one seems to be dropping then it is most likely the shock. Let me know.