Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

After an complete engine overhaul with some mess up by the

Customer Question

After an complete engine overhaul with some mess up by the overhaul company I am struggling with a bunch of error codes and need to know where to start.I have the error code list but something like bank 2 sensor 3 doesn't work doesn't tell me anything.The error codes are
40A6
4076
412c,d,e,f
4130
4141
4176I need to know what sensor to look at and some idea in generalone thought I have and require to know, that a wrong time belt setting by the overhaul company bend the camshaft with the sensor for points and speed I guess and has been replaced with a new one with a rework on the bearing in the camshaft housing. That might have changed the distance to the sensor. It would be very rare but I am located in Spain and these guys here manage everything even the impossible. May be the new camshaft is out of specs where the sensor is sitting.Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

DO YOU HAVE THE 5 DIGIT CODE #'S . I CAN ASSIST IF I HAVE THE 5 DIGIT CODE #'S

THANKS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I didn|t know that. Just my skills I am mechanic but on truck and vessel engines. I am not sure if you are the Wolfgang I requeted. He was located in the US I thought. it was back in April.I am getting a reader in by the end of this week, beginning next week. However the attached list may give you the DTC you are looking for.most codes are clear, but I need advice on 4141, DTC 16705, P0321 as I think that is the source. Is that the sensor sitting on the cam shaft ?I am getting a new reader by next week.let me know if you can help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, so I investigated a bit more and first here a tip for you
4 digit error codes like the one I gave you are the hexadecimal representation of the DTC
to get the 5 digit number you are looking for you can use Widows calculator.
Open calculator, select programmers view (not standard) select HEX, type in the 4 digit number, select DEC then and you have your five digit DTC. e.g. '40A6' converts to 16550this DTC says P0166 bank2 sensor 3 no activity what the hell is this sensor?The G28 error I am not trusting at the moment as the amount of false ignition could set this fault.At that point I would like to know what fuel is needed for this engine does it need 98oc ?The id code is WVWZZZ1JZ2D347061 or more general 603 547Let me know if you can help
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

yes i'm the Wolfgang!!! let me see this and will get back

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

the camshaft code is an inplausible and usually means that the timing is out. timing needs to be rechecked

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mmh, ok, I have set the timing myself using two 8mm drills to set the camshafts in position and the crank shaft is set correct after a long odyssey with the overhaul company. they delivered the engine with a 2 tooth late set on the camshaft. the result was 5 bend valves and a bend camshaft as I was not expecting that by professionals.
Long story short, they ordered a new camshaft, the one with the sensor on, but had to re-machine the bearings. I had the impression from the beginning that now the distance to the sensor is not correct any more.Lets assume, the timing is correct, the sensor is ok, and with the knowledge of the camshaft manipulation. How would you go further? is there any chance to get the required distance form the camshaft cam for the sensor to the camshaft housing ?You know what I mean ?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

kinda yes but a pic to really visualize this !!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok the pins to lock the cams now did you have a top dead center indicator in #1 cylinder ? reason why is that a compression test is needed to see if all of the cylinders have equal pressure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well the the engine got an overhaul, new pistons, cylinders reworked, head pressure tested, that shouldn't be the issue, but yes I will perform a pressure test.I did the pressure test. I messured 15.5 bar on each. However due to the deep hole I could only use a rubber probe I pressed on by hand. So the real value should be higher.However, can you point me to the G28 sensor at the engine, please is there any document indicating the various sensor positions ? I would like to see the condition of the signal wheel for the speed sensor.I also must mention that one of the error codes indicated a too high air flow in the AGR which shoul be the stainless steel pipe going to the valve on the exhaust.Please answer these questions I partially ask before.correct fuel for this engine 95 or 98 octane ?
position of the G28 sensor at engine block ?
is there any official note on EMI inferences and change information in wiring? I have seen this helped people with similar issues.
Position of the coolant sensorThat would be helpful even better if you could provide schematics
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

i do need a vehicle serial #

thanks Ralph

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just 3 messages back I wrote
"At that point I would like to know what fuel is needed for this engine does it need 98oc ?The id code is WVWZZZ1JZ2D347061 or more general 603 547"
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

duh!!!!

thanks let me look into this!!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wolfgang! whats up, did I hit you on holiday? I need this information.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

still getting that info . no holiday . see at the states i have to wait to get your info because you are in europe . that is the hang up!!

98 ron is the octane rating you need

there is no official for emi issues.

g28 is usually on the block or at the tail end of the crankshaft..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang,when do you have that information ? I need to get that car running.Please tell me how long I have to wait.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need urgently help on the error codes and positions of the sensors at the Golf 1.6 16V