Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

My steering wheel is locked. It doesn't allow any movement

Customer Question

My steering wheel is locked. It doesn't allow any movement of the wheels and the key won't turn.
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: We'll try that hang on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: I believe it is 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It seems to be completely locked in the center. It won't allow any turn to the right or the left.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We tried in park, neutral, with the handbrake on and off. Wheels are turned slightly to the right
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Some Hyundai models use an electronic steering lock and this can fail and cause this issue with it needing replaced.Try turning the steering wheel hard in each direction while trying to turn the key at the same time normally and see if it then operates.If this does not work I suspect the lock is at fault needing replaced.You would want to have this tested further to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is apprectiated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete