Chris
Chris, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Specialize in UK Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.
12365498

My 2001 voyager has just failed it's yearly test because the

Customer Question

Hi, my 2001 voyager has just failed it's yearly test because the fog light warning light does not come on. how do i find it and repair the problem?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: dashboard Warning light for the fog lights
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am not sure if tht light has a replacable bulb ot an l e d light that is soldered onto the instrument cluster circuit board , but I will look into this and get back to you asap. Either the bulb can be repoaced or the cokplete instrument cluster will need to be replaced. Will let you know.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, just checked and there are replaceable bulbs (globes) in the instrument cluster. If you have the cluster removed and flipped over, you can then remove and replace the globe for the fog lamp indicator. If you want to do this yourself, let me know and I will send you a procedure for removing the cluster.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I have the cluster out but which one is the fog light bulb?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Let me see if I can find a picture.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

There are no pictures of the bulb locations. So look at where the fog lamp indicator is on the front, and then figure that the bulb is directly behind it on the rear of the cluster.

let me know how it goes,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you were able to get the bulb replaced.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris,
It turns out that my model actually has the illuminated switch, so not on the cluster!
Removed the switch, and there appears to be 3 very strange long thin bulbs, all of which look shot.
Off course, being the week-end, no-one is open for me to talk to these about.
Steve.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ahhh ok. Let me see if I can get you a part number for those bulbs.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chris,
just received this from you -"Order ID: 16494739-880
Your UK Car answer is ready!
I noticed you haven’t viewed my answer to your question yet – this is a friendly reminder to please view my answer when you get a chance. Also remember, you don’t have to take my response as the final word on your question. Feel free to continue the conversation until you’re satisfied. "
Following our trail of conversation, i think that we are up to date and am only waiting on you to see if you can help with part numbers.
thanks,
Steve.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi Steve,

I have not been able to find that bulb part number yet I am starting to think that it is only available with the switch assembly. Send me the VIN number of the van. That may help me see if it is a separate part or the complete switch.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris,
OK the number is *****
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. I will gave my parts guy at work look into this today.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Does the bulb look like one of these?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, they look to be from the back of the fascia. Mine are long and thing, there are 3 that fit into the back of the switch unit.
I have attached a photo of the back of the unit showing the rear of the 3 bulbs.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

That looks like the one I have. Did you remove one and look at it?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Of course, that's how I knew it wasn't the same as those in the photo that you sent! Mine are around 1" or more long and only about 3/8" wide with a blue cap on the bulb. I will take one out in the morning and send a picture.
Steve.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Ok, thanks Steve.

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hey Steve, my parts guy says that there is no separate part number for the bulb in their catalog. They are saying that if I had a sample bulb they could match it up. But I have an idea: why don't you swap the bad fog lamp indicator bulb with one of the other illumination buls in the switch. Then you could at least get the van certified for now, and deal with finding a replacement one later. Just a thought.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris,
You need to do something with your site as it keeps send messages that i have not viewed your answers, which is total BS and becoming annoying! Sounds like you might have to whisper in the ear of your tech nerd.
Attached are photos of the bulb, there should be three of them.
Steve.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Thanks Steve. I know that bulb and used to have some spares in my tool box, but not anymore. Did you try swapping one of the illumination bulbs into the fog lamp indicator spot on the switch? As far as the site issue, I have no control over it, but will send a message to the support team.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all 3 are blown.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Darn. Ok, then let me try and find the complete head light switch assembly part number for you today.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Steve, based on your VIN number, the switch part number is 2U504733. It is around $80.00 U S, and you can order it on line at Rock Auto .com

I hope this helps.

Oh and I submitted your complaint to support. They were going to look into it.

Cheers

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chris, Great, thanks for the part number. the Chrysler dealer here told me it would cost $54.00 but he has called back to say it would have to be a back order, so I will try places in the US.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Sounds good Steve. Sorry I was unable to find the bulbs, but going this route should work.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hey Steve, when you get a moment, would you kindly rate my service today using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I only get credit for helping you when you give me a positive rating. If you need further assistance, I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've just tried using that part number with RockAuto.com and it was not recognized by their on-line system.
However, I may have a solution, if I wire my own warning light in, this is acceptable to the Govt test centre.
All I have to do now is locate which wire is the feed from the switch to the rear fog bulb.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hmmmm, ok. Let me see if I can find a diagram for the export version of the Voyager today.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chris,
I already done it and the wiring diagram was wrong, which is not unusual with Chrysler. By trial and error, I found the correct leads and spliced in a warning lamp which seems to work just fine. Booked back in for a re-test this afternoon.
Steve.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Nice! I just got up and was getting ready to research this for you, but sounds like you are good to go. I was going to suggest this fyi: remove the bulb, and solder in a 12 volt L E D type bulb right to the bulb contacts in the headlight switch. But sounds like you got this taken care of. Good job!

Thanks again for allowing me to try and help, and hopefully I can be helpful in the future!

Cheers

Chris