Chris
Chris, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Specialize in UK Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.
12365498

I accidently put 15 litres diesel into the petrol tank of a

Customer Question

I accidently put 15 litres diesel into the petrol tank of a 1999 Vauxhall Astra Envoy van. I did not start the vehicle after. I have tried to siphon the diesel out but with no result. There is no drain plug. What are my options?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Sorry about that. At this point you will probably need to have the van towed to a garage so that they can get the vehicle up on a lift. Then the 2 options will be to remove the fuel filler neck at the tank. Then a siphon hose can be inserted into the tank to remove the diesel. The other option would be to remove the fuel line at the fuel rail on the engine and use the fuel pump in the tank to pump it out into a container. I have done it that way before. They can jump the fuel pump relay to keep it running. Note that it is not as bad to put diesel into a petrol vehicle. Putting petrol into a diesel vehicle can be bad. You can destroy the injection pump.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Hello, just checking back again. I have not heard back from you and just wondered if my answer was helpful.If so, please don't forget to take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sorry but towing my van to a garage is not an option the . I am a pensioner and the cost is prohibative.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

I see. Is there anyway that you can have someone come out to where the van is and do this for you? If so, then they will need to bring with them some sort of fuel container to pump the diesel fuel into and then dispose of it safely.

Chris