Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

It's a 2004 automatic passat...i went into reverse a loud

Customer Question

it's a 2004 automatic passat...i went into reverse a loud thud and shudder and no drive managed to get home in forwars gear but now hardly any movement
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: no leaks the gearbox was replaced with 12 month warranty when i bought it at 133000 miles now at 200000..but fully serviced and great car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing i'm hoping it mat be a collapsed drive shaft
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i put it into drive no response put my foot down a bit and large thud then it will move slowly
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

On the dash is , there is a gear indicator, is all the gears highlighted ?

Thanks