Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I'm trying to replace the unreliable 2009 diesel engine with

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the unreliable 2009 diesel engine with a 2013 engine. There is an extra plug on the rear of the engine with nowhere to go in the existing loom. Does this plug carry functions that the ECU needs, or the engine needs to fire, as opposed to running at optimum performance?
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 2.0 diesel an EE20, the only diesel one they make that I know of.
JA: What is the model of your '09 Subaru?
Customer: Outback, and the engine came from the same, but updated model. I might have bought the later model car but some idiot wrecked its styling and fitted a wholly unacceptable electric 'handbrake'
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, the garage changed the engine over, but I will make it work. At least that's the plan. Thus the extra plug is simply not connected. I haven't had chance to try myself but the garage said they couldn't start the engine, though it does turn over.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this stage, I was looking for wiring diagrams for the two models to compare them.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

It is hard to say for sure from here what this plug is for but if it is on the engine it usually is required for a function on your engine to operate properly.You may have to swap out the wiring harness and computer and have a dealer reprogram your vehicle.This has to be done in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Pete, No wiring diagrams available? I'm not keen on disrupting the baulkhead fixings if at all possible to avoid. Provided the original plug replacement is passing all the original data to and fro that it used to, then all the other plug is doing will be finessing the performance with additional sensors, which the old ECU wouldn't know what to do with anyway; there should be no engine activation circuits on the new plug. It should fire. This would be logical, but was the design logical?! Only the diagrams can prove.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know.

Thanks Pete